PEDIATRIC CANCER IS THE LEADING CAUSE OF DEATH BY DISEASE IN U.S. CHILDREN, on average
- Each year 13,500 children are diagnosed with cancer
- One in every 330 children develops cancer before the age of 20
- 36 children are diagnosed with cancer everyday
- One in every four elementary schools has a child with cancer.
20% OF CHILDREN ARE DECLARED TERMINAL UPON DIAGNOSIS
- Many pediatric cancers are declared terminal upon diagnosis
- No new protocols have been developed in the past 30 years
- 1 in 5 of children diagnosed with cancer will die within 5 years
60% OF PED CANCER SURVIVORS SUFFER LONG TERM IMPACTS
- 1 in 3 children diagnosed will suffer long term life effects
- 74% of cancer survivors have chronic illnesses
- Treatments affect growth, fertility and endocrine systems
- Radiation can significantly damage congnitive functions
- Physical/neurocognitive disabilities may result from treatments
- In the past 20 years the FDA has approved only 2 new drugs
- Childhood cancer research is consistently underfunded
- 50% of chemotherapies for children’s cancer are 25 years old
- R&D for new drugs is almost ZERO for childhood cancers
- The National Cancer Institute spends only 4% of its total budget on pediatric cancers.
(source Journey 4 A cure )
In loving memory of Cheyenne Bauer, Madeline Frady
In honor of Tucker Smith and Ashley Pinson and all other survivors and fighters !