NO LAP BAND SURGERY

Please note : On some browsers I believe "ads" are popping up over my blog description for Lap Band Surgery . Or where to get lap band surgery , I IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM have ANYTHING TO DO WITH THIS .. And I STRONGLY DISCOURAGE LAP BAND SURGERY .

About Me

My name is Mindy and I am a wife and mother of 2 boys, Ages 20 and 12. I recently started on the path of becoming a nurse something i have wanted to do since i was 11 !

Blog Archive

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Update.. what's changed





I have had a couple people ask for an update. I thought i would use this as a way to tell you what has changed, how the sleeve has been different from the lap band .
I am 4 months post op now and down about 35 pounds, give or take a pound depending on the day !
I am also down from a size 24 jeans to a 14-16 I can wear 14's in some brands and 16's in others.
My shirt size pre op was 2xl I now wear a XL. I could probably wear a Large in some but I dont feel comfortable in them just yet. I think they look too small and too tight .

The weight loss has been slower than some, slower than when I had my band. I am ok with that. My skin is not responding well after this weight loss as it is, any faster and I would probably be in worse shape than I am skin wise . I have lost on average about 1-2 pounds a week which is " normal" weight loss . I do need to get more exercise in , I walk as much as I can but I feel like that is just not enough anymore. I tried a boot camp one day and was actually proud i kept up , came home and realized I had actually pulled a muscle in my stomach and could barely more for a copule days. So back to slowly but surely for weight loss .

As far as what is different from the band .. Lets my list them
1. Able to eat solid protein with out any pain
2. Able to eat veggies and fruits with out any pain
3. No getting 'stuck' feeling the tightness in my chest or any other pain when i eat.
4. No vomiting . I have not thrown up since i was in the hospital with my surgery.
5. Little to no joint pain, muscle aches etc that I had when I had the band.
6. More energy
7. I just over all feel better.

The sleeve works the way the band was suppose to and never did. It keeps me full , i eat about eery 3-4 hours and I eat good food .
One "draw back" which I would not consider it a draw back is I get dumping syndrome when i eat.
NO im  not talking about a #2 ! Dumping syndrome is :

Definition By Mayo Clinic staff Dumping syndrome is a group of symptoms that are most likely to develop if you've had surgery to remove all or part of your stomach, or if your stomach has been surgically bypassed to help lose weight. Also called rapid gastric emptying, dumping syndrome occurs when the undigested contents of your stomach move too rapidly into your small bowel. Common symptoms include abdominal cramps, nausea and diarrhea.
Most people with dumping syndrome experience symptoms soon after eating. In others, symptoms may occur one to three hours after eating. Some people experience both early and late symptoms.
Dumping syndrome is managed by adjusting your diet. In more-serious cases of dumping syndrome, you may need medications or surgery.

I will say I am a little glad I dump . Why ? I have a HUGE sweet tooth so this is a good thing for me.
This is not to say i cant have any sweets at all. I can have a bite or 2 that's it.

Anyway , over all I am happy with how thing are going, I would like to loose a bit more consistently but as they say the weight did not come on over night it wont come off over night !

2 comments:

  1. Don't get too attached to the dumping. It seems like it goes away as the stomach heals with us VSG gals. That's probably because we have a pylorus valve so once everything settles down it starts working properly!

    ReplyDelete