NO LAP BAND SURGERY

Please note : On some browsers I believe "ads" are popping up over my blog description for Lap Band Surgery . Or where to get lap band surgery , I IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM have ANYTHING TO DO WITH THIS .. And I STRONGLY DISCOURAGE LAP BAND SURGERY .

About Me

My name is Mindy and I am a wife and mother of 2 boys, Ages 20 and 12. I recently started on the path of becoming a nurse something i have wanted to do since i was 11 !

Blog Archive

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Why is weight loss w/ out surgery so " inspirational" ?


I was watching one of the morning show's today and they had a lady on that lost over 500 lbs. Inspirational how ever she did it . But the intro to her story was this " Next we have so and so who lost over 500 lbs WITH OUT Any surgery she did it the "Natural " Way , so inspirational " !
I have seen this before on other shows. Why is it that those of us who have had surgery are discounted , made out that we took the "easy" way out because we had surgery ?
So is my 125 pound weight loss any less " inspirational " than someone who did it w/ diet and exercise ? It just really ticks me off that the media portrays it that way . Its no wonder people treat WLS patients as taking the "Easy Way " out .

For years I have always thought WLS should NOT have to be a last resort. Why should you have to wait until you have tried everything under the sun, gained and lost , gained and lost ( Which BTW is harder on your body and worse for your body that just being fat ) to do something about it ?
Diets done work , they have proven that . So why does Weight Loss Surgery have to be last ? Why do people have to be so damn desperate , be on the verge of death , on the verge of getting diseases , deadly diseases to do something about it ?

Someone I know told me last week her daughter was considering the lap band. She is in her early 30's and over 200 pounds. Another Weight loss surgery patient told her " If i were you I would wait until your OLDER to do it " WTF are you talking about ? WAIT , Why ? so you get fatter, you cant do more things w/ your kids , you are more miserable for a longer period of times and you have a better chance of getting a disease like diabetes, high blood pressure etc ? I told her that was the dumbest shit I have ever heard !

So for everyone who thinks I took the easy way out i have this to say ! If going under the knife for over an hour , recovering from surgery , not being able to eat solid foods for 6 weeks, having to totally change not only what I eat but HOW I eat is the "easy" way out well then I guess that's what I did. If having surgery BEFORE I had a stroke, before I got a life changing disease, before I could not longer get my ass up to play with my children , go to their graduation , go to their football games and most of all be around to see them grow up is the easy way out . Ok I took the easy way out . Just because you THINK I or anyone else did not work as hard to lose my weight does not mean we did not ! So If that's easy , then I did it the easy way !!!!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Mindy, Glad you're back. I've been gone for a while as well. I don't know if you remember, but my band slipped as well and did a complete unfil in Dec, went back in Jan band fixed itself and we put in a small fill of 3.5 (i think) I don't have any restriction, but I've been keeping my weight within five pounds of my original low of 160. I feel good about that, but made an appt. to get a fill on May 11th. I too am afraid of a slip again and can't afford to keep going in for fills. Best of luck to you with your fill, when are you going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi loosing , how are you ! I do remember you . Im glad to see you are maintaining right now . I hope to get another fill in the next few weeks . Im under alot of stress right now and having the tendency to eat junk, so i really need it now !
    email me if you need to talk anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. People tell me I'm inspirational so not everyone is a doofus. :D

    The thing is, I didn't have surgery to lose weight -- I've done that tons of times. I had it to keep it off. They always interview these people right after they lose their weight and not two years later when they've gained it all back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mac I TOTALLY agree w/ you . I too ( one reason ) had the surgery to keep the weight off. granted its 2 yrs later and I have put some back on but i'll take 20 pounds over 200 anyway ( had not quite thought about it that way until now thanks ! )
    People tell me im an inspiration as well , I dont feel that some times. I think we are all inspirations !

    ReplyDelete